Date(s) - 10 Mar '21
10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Commercial property owners are tasked with delivering sustainable income growth, asset appreciation, stringent cost controls and real profits. However these objectives are arguably becoming more difficult to achieve in the context of the declining state of South African municipalities and metros, weak GDP growth and the dire economic and social disruptions wrought by the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic. The last ten years have seen annualised increases in assessment rates that have far exceeded inflation despite severely weakened economic conditions.
With this in mind, SAPOA will be hosting a webinar regarding property valuations and property rates with a view to developing a more transparent, equitable and sustainable property rates dispensation.
The intention is threefold:
1. To discuss ways to engage with the relevant municipal and government authorities to implement fair and reasonable property valuations and property rates tariffs across all property categories;
2. To obtain member input into the preparation of SAPOA’s legal challenge in terms of Section 16 of the Municipal Property Rates Act, which compels municipalities to develop rates policies which promote economic growth and capital investment;
3. To find a solution on how best the property industry can address the declining state of affairs of South Africa’s municipalities and associated service delivery challenges.
Facilitator: Tracy Myers, Standard Bank (CIB Risk Valuations) & President of the SA Institute of Valuers.
• Ben Espach, Director, Rates Watch (Pty) Ltd.
• Nicole Greenstone, Regional Executive, Hyprop Investments Ltd.
• Eileen Andrew, Vice President, Client Coverage, Real Estate, MSCI.
• Francis Clerke, Consultant – BA LLB LLM, De Kock & Associates.
SAPOA Member: R450.00 excl. VAT.
Non-Member: R900.00 excl. VAT.