The Women’s Property Network (WPN) has announced the finalists of the South African Women in Property Awards (SAWIPA), marking a celebration of female excellence in the local commercial property sector.
Last month, the regional rounds of SAWIPA 2019 took place in KwaZulu-Natal, the Western Cape and Gauteng. The nominees in each category were recognised and the regional winners, who are now national finalists, were announced.
“The SA Women in Property Awards (SAWIPA), sponsored by Airports Company South Africa (ACSA), is a platform established by the WPN to recognise and celebrate the achievements of women in various segments of the South African property sector,” says Nonhlanhla Mayisela, National Chair of the WPN and CEO of Izandla Property.
“SAWIPA recognises outstanding leadership, commitment and success in individuals and organisations that have stepped up and shaped women’s roles within the private and public spheres of the sector. This includes CEOs, executives and leaders in corporate South Africa, SMMEs, government departments and agencies, as well as entrepreneurs,” Mayisela
This year’s awards categories include four Individual Awards: Young Achiever, Entrepreneur of the Year, Professional of the Year (Private Sector) and Professional of the Year (Public Sector).
ACSA is the principal sponsor this year’s SAWIPA, and the support has been vital in assisting WPN to once again shape a meaningful, high quality national event that acknowledges female property professionals who are making an impact in the industry.
“ACSA’s vision is to be the most sought after partner in the world for the provision of airport management solutions by 2025. To achieve this, the ACSA Commercial Division has launched ‘Commercial Vision 2025’, which is focused on increasing commercial revenue and airport real estate business development,” says Khanyisile Nene, Senior Manager Infrastructure & Development at ACSA.
“We are actively looking for partners to work with, within all spheres of the real estate industry in South Africa. Transformation is at the top of our agenda and we are unapologetic about our determination to ensure racial and gender equality. We are proud to support WPN as our goals are aligned and we truly value their positive contribution to transformation in South Africa’s property industry,” Nene continues.
WPN is also pleased to have the supporting sponsorship of First National Bank (FNB) –primary supporting sponsor, Excellerate JHI and The Colosseum Hotel.
The finalists include:
Young Achiever Award
● Clare Comins – Professional Architect, SNAPP Architects (Western Cape).
● Palesa Moloi – CEO & Co-founder, ParkUpp (Gauteng).
● Nompumelelo Xulu – Founder and Managing Director NS Xulu Attorneys
Entrepreneur of the Year Award
● Jutta Berns-Mumbi – Founder & Managing Director, Ecocentric (Gauteng).
● Michelle Michael – Director, Dlamini Michael Inc. (KwaZulu-Natal).
● There were no nominees from the Western Cape in this category.
Professional of the Year Award – Private Sector
● Susan Turner – Co-founder & Director, Knight Frank South Africa (Western Cape).
● Tia Kanakakis – Partner, MDS Architecture (Gauteng).
● Saloshini Gounder – Executive Real Estate, Massdiscounters (KwaZulu-Natal).
Professional of the Year Award – Public Sector
● Kathy Michell – Associate Professor & Head of Department Construction Economics.& Management, University of Cape Town (Western Cape).
● Lerato Peu – Executive Director, Economic Development Merafong City Local Municipality (Gauteng).
● Fathima Khan – Senior Manager, eThekwini Real Estate.
The SAWIPA 2019 National Awards and Gala Dinner — hosted by WPN and ACSA — is taking place on Wednesday 9 October, at Summer Place, Johannesburg. At this event, the SAWIPA 2019 winners will be announced.