The sentiment levels of consumers are sliding, which is not good news for the retail property market. This is according to Erwin Rode, chief property economist and professional valuer at Rode & Associates.
Falling consumer sentiment levels do not bode well for consumers’ willingness to spend, retail sales volumes, retailer trading densities and hence, retail-rental growth prospects.
“Furthermore”, adds Rode, “The likelihood of continued subdued economic growth — which by implication presages weak employment and salary growth — higher income tax, loadshedding and prospects of rising interest rates all have the potential to dent confidence levels even further.”
As one of the speakers at the annual Real Estate Investor Conferences, Rode will discuss the outlook for retail sales and the likely impact that this might have on retail rentals and the retail property market. The conferences are jointly hosted by Rode and Real Estate Investor Magazine, and are sponsored by Wealth Migrate. They will be held in August in Durban, Johannesburg, Bloemfontein, Port Elizabeth, Cape Town and Windhoek.
The dates and venues for these events are as follows:
· DURBAN Conference (half-day): Tuesday, 18 August 2015 at the Gateway Hotel, Umhlanga
· JOHANNESBURG Conference (full-day): Wednesday, 19 August 2015 at Emperors Palace, Kempton Park
· BLOEMFONTEIN Conference (half-day): Friday, 21 August 2015 at Ilanga Estate, Bloemfontein
· PORT ELIZABETH Conference (half-day): Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at the Radisson Blu Hotel, Summerstrand,
· CAPE TOWN Conference (full-day): Wednesday, 26 August 2015 at Spier Wine Estate, near Stellenbosch
· WINDHOEK Conference (half-day): Friday, 28 August 2015 at the Hilton Hotel, Windhoek, Namibia
For more information, please send an e-mail to Lynette Smit at firstname.lastname@example.org, visit www.rode.co.za or contact Lynette on 012 664 4159 or 082 323 5799.