Artist’s impression of Atrium on 5th once completed. Previously known as the Sandton Twin Towers, situated on 5th Street in the heart of the Sandton CBD, the building forms part of the landmark Sandton City complex and is currently being reinvented to make it one of the most eye catching buildings in Sandton. Sustainability is very high on this development agenda
Liberty Properties extends its congratulations to Aurecon for being awarded Best Quality Submission by the Green Building Council of South Africa (GBCSA) for the Atrium on 5th Green Star Office v1 Design rating application. Aurecon is providing the structural engineering and environmentally sustainable design services for the Atrium on 5th project.
With development management services provided by Liberty Properties, the 24 713 m² P-grade office block is the first building in the Liberty Group’s portfolio (managed by STANLIB Direct Property Investments) to achieve a Green Star accreditation from the GBCSA.
Maurice Mdlolo, Managing Director for Liberty Properties said, “We are absolutely delighted that Aurecon, one of our key partners in the transformation of the Sandton Twin Towers into Atrium on 5th, are the recipients of this prestigious industry award. The award is as a result of Aurecon being instrumental in supporting our vision to create a green building out of the refurbishment of a 32 year old iconic Sandton property, ultimately proving that a truly sustainable building can be created from an existing one.”
Because sustainability was one of the driving factors behind this refurbishment, the rejuvenation of this building presented the ideal opportunity to incorporate numerous environmentally sustainable principles into the design, some of which include:
· The entire building structure was re-used, therefore there was no need for the construction of an energy intensive new building structure.
· The building’s glass façade will not only make it one the most eye catching buildings in Sandton, but the suspended glass atrium – a first in South Africa – together with the new high performance low E single glazed and insulated façade will provide the building with optimal access to views and daylight whilst minimising heat losses through the envelope.
· The building has been fitted with a new air-cooled Variable Air Volume air conditioning system to maximise energy efficiency and ensure thermally comfortable indoor conditions.
· To reduce the building’s carbon footprint, an energy efficient base building lighting system has been installed, which will consume less than 2 W/m2 per 100 lux, or 8 W/m2.
· Water efficiency strategies such as low flow fixtures have also been implemented.
· Another sustainable design feature is the installation of a green wall in the atrium, incorporating a unique system made from recycled material.
Atrium on 5th is ready for occupancy, with just the glass atrium façade due to be completed late in 2014. Upon completion, the aim is to also achieve a 4 Star Green Star SA As-Built rating.
“The investment by Liberty Group and Pareto, has ensured that Atrium on 5th is a truly sustainable development. With its outstanding location in the Sandton CBD and its proximity to the Gautrain station, not only is this building relevant to its surroundings but is the obvious choice for tenants.” Mdlolo concludes.
Atrium on 5th is co-owned by Liberty Group Ltd (75%) and Pareto Ltd (25%).