City hands over first GAP and Open Market houses in Phase 1 of Pelican Park

The City of Cape Town’s Mayoral Committee Member for Human Settlements, Councillor Tandeka Gqada, today, 12 June 2013, handed over keys to some of the residents of the GAP and Open Market houses in Phase 1 of the Pelican Park Integrated Development. This forms part of the City’s efforts to build an Inclusive City through Integrated Human Settlements. 

Pelican Park

Councillor Tandeka Gqada with the Du Plessis family

Councillor Gqada was accompanied by the MEC for Human Settlements, Bonginkosi Madikizela and representatives of the City’s partners in this project – Power Construction; the appointed developer; and the main financer of the project, Nedbank.

The cost of the development is R500 million, with the Provincial Government’s contribution at R240 million. The City will manage the distribution of these funds to the developer as milestones in the development are achieved.

Pelican Park is situated between Zeekoevlei and Strandfontein Roads, about 5km north of the False Bay Coast.

When completed, Pelican Park will include more than 2 100 state-subsidised houses, 696 single-storey semi-detached GAP houses and 63 double-storey house shops from which residents can operate small businesses.

Pelican Park is an environmentally-friendly development that will include schools, a clinic, a library, a fuel station and a shopping centre. It is a development that will see people from different cultures, religions and generations, living together as a community.

“We are so excited about this project, as it will provide houses to 3 200 families in one of the first integrated housing projects in Cape Town. Home ownership is one of the most significant economic achievements for an individual.

“As part of our vision of building a Caring City, we are committed to providing dignified living areas that communities can be proud of. We know that the provision of this kind of opportunity leads to a community’s brighter future,” said Councillor Gqada.

The mortgage bonded component of the project comprises of two sections, namely New Horizons and On the Vlei.

In the New Horizons section GAP houses sold for R290 000,00. A deposit of R2 000,00 was required with a minimum earning of R7 800,00 per month for a 100% bond.

Market housing which is situated On the Vlei, sold for R465 000,00. A deposit of R10 000,00 was required with a minimum earning of R15 000,00 per month for a 100% bond.

From July, occupants will also start taking possession of the first Breaking New Ground (BNG) homes.  These are government subsidised houses for beneficiaries who earn less than R3 500,00 per month.  A number of beneficiaries have already been approved.

Interested parties can call the City of Cape Town’s Database Call Centre on 021 444 0333 for more information.


  • Good Day

    I am interested in a Pelican Park Gap House. Please assist on how to go about owning one of these.

    Thank you

  • Good day

    My name is Ian Ryan Jacobs (0744898601) and I am interested in a Pelican Park Gap House. Please Please assist me on how to go about owning one of the houses.

    Thank you!!!!!

    Mr I.R.Jacobs

    • Hello

      Regarding Pelican Park – Interested parties can call the City of Cape Town’s Database Call Centre on 021 444 0333 for more information.

      Kind regards,

      Property Wheel

  • Good day I am Rashieda, please tell me how or what to do to get on this pelican park rdp houses, I I’m on the waiting list for 21 years please people? At the moment me and my family sleep outside more often then inside the room we renting and my dad is 65years of age and has tb, please people I’m begging u.

    • We are not affiliated to any of the housing departments, please please see some information below on how to apply (taken from the City of Cape Town website)

      Housing applications
      If you would like to apply for a Council housing opportunity, you must be:

      over the age of 18, married or co-habiting, and not the owner of a property
      single with financial dependants (and able to prove their dependancy)
      a South African citizen, or the possessor of a permanent residence permit
      legally competent to sign a contract
      not the beneficiary of a government housing subsidy
      not married to someone who is the beneficiary of a government housing subsidy
      the recipient of a gross monthly income (with your spouse/partner) that does not exceed R3,500 per month
      Complete a housing application form and an employer’s report, and hand it to any housing estate office with certified copies of:

      your and your spouse’s barcoded identity documents
      your children’s birth certificates
      your marriage or divorce certificates
      You can also apply online.

      If you have a cell phone, provide us with your contact number so that we can communicate with you via SMS. Alternatively, correspondence will be sent to your postal address.

      Once your details have been captured on the housing database, you will be sent a letter with your registration number and application date.

      It is your responsibility to keep your details up to date. You can do so by visiting any housing office and quoting your reference number.

      If you do not keep your details up to date there is a good chance that your application will be overlooked and you will not be selected for a housing project because your details do not meet the selection criteria.

      Housing estate offices

      Update your information or hand in your application at any one of the following City housing estate offices. Queries can be e-mailed to
      Apply online:

  • To whom it may concern,im a 27 year old guy despritly trying to apply for a subsidy to try an get my first home for my wife an sons we have been moving up an down and im trying to finally get us settled so that we can live happily an in our own comfort. Please help. Thank you

Leave a Comment